Investing in a good-quality longboarding helmet can literally save your life. Research shows that longboarders are more prone to head injuries than skateboarders which is why you should make safety your #1 priority. We suggest being as safe as possible when it comes to selecting protective gear, but if you can only force yourself to wear one thing, please make it a helmet.
That old bike helmet in the dirty corner of your garage may not be good enough when it comes to longboarding – so get out your wallet and drop some money on a high-quality longboarding helmet. For further reading on longboarding helmet basics, as well as what all the safety certifications mean, check out our article on how to pick the right longboarding helmet.
It’s not necessary to spend a fortune to get a good helmet, though quality tends to come with price. For half shells, the $40 to $60 price range has the perfect mix of quality and affordability. The half-shell style is obviously fine for a variety of boarding including skateboarding, however the full-face helmets are typically associated with downhill/speed longboarding activities.
The 6 Best Longboarding Helmets
S1 Lifer - Black Matte - Medium (21.5")
- S1 Lifer Helmet
- Specially formulated EPS Fusion Foam
- Certified Multi-Impact (ASTM)
- Certified High Impact (CPSC)
- 5x More Protective Than Regular Skate Helmets
You can’t go wrong with anything on our list, but the S1 Lifer is the best longboarding helmet for a half-shell design. The S1 is great for all ages and passes all major safety tests. It also comes in a huge variety of color and design options. This helmet is light, comfortable, and comes with different sized pads so that you can share it or loan it out if need be.
– Specially formulated EPS Fusion Foam
– 4 color options to choose from
– Certification: ASTM & CPSC
Triple Eight Sweatsaver Liner Skateboarding Helmet, All Black Rubber, Medium
5 used from $19.22
- Classic skate helmet for kids, youth, and adults, with ABS outer shell and stink-free, moisture-wicking Sweat saver liner
- Ideal for skateboarding, roller skating, and roller derby
- Included Sweat saver liner attaches with hook-and-loop tape and is easily-removable for cleaning; Adjustable chin strap
- Available in six sizes: XS fits 20. 1-20. 5 in (51-52 cm), S fits 20. 6-21. 3 in (52-54 cm), M fits 21. 4-22 in (54-56 cm), L fits 22. 1-22. 9 in (56-58 cm), XL fits 23-24 in (58-61 cm), XXL fits 24-25 in (60-62 cm)
- To determine proper size, measure with a soft tape measure or string; manufacturer's 180-day limited
The Brain Saver is another great longboarding helmet option. The sizing tends to run a little smaller than average so keep that in mind and pay attention to the reviews and listen to what other riders say about it.
– Multi-impact design
– Sweatsaver liner
– Adjustable straps
– Triple Eight customized logo rivets
– Classic skate side cut helmet design
Pro-Tec Classic Cert, Matte Rasta Green, M
- High-impact ABS shell with certified EPS liner for multiple impact protection based on ASTM F1492
- Compression molded liner pads for maximum comfort
- 11 vents to keep you cool
- Adjustable length straps with secure locking buckle
- 45 years of Pro-Tec heritage producing the most stylish protective gear on the market
The Pro-Tec longboarding helmet comes in a wide range of sizes. Many reviewers with larger heads have had great luck with this one. It doesn’t offer many options in the color department but the Pro-Tec is still a solid choice.
– High Impact ABS Shell
– EPS Foam Liner
– Nylex Lamination Interior
– 11 Open Vents
– Dri-Lex Wrapped Hard-to-Soft Foam Transition
back to menu ↑
Best Full Face Longboarding Helmets
For full face helmets everything is a lot more expensive. The price might seem overwhelming, but for riders interested in the downhill scene eventually they might find the need for a full face helmet. We couldn’t decide so here are the 2 best downhill longboarding helmets. The Bell helmet below is great for beginners who don’t have a ton of money to start out, it’s just a basic bmx style helmet. If you’re planning on bombing downhill on one of the best longboard brands like Landyachtz, you’ll need a full face helmet for sure.
TSG Pass Helmet, White, Medium
- PRECISION MANUFACTURED - Multi-layered glass fiber shell for a high ratio of surface area to weight resulting into a strong but light full-face helmet.
- MAXIMUM VISIBILITY - Wide viewing angle doesn't cut off your peripheral vision. Engineered to never fog up, using a combination of ventilation that draws breath out of the helmet, and an anti-fog coating to ensure maximum visibility at all times. Ear slots allow for clear perception of ambient noises.
- PERFECT FIT - Cheek pads are adjustable to custom fit different heads comfortably, and the inner liner is removable and washable. The shell is designed around the human head and shorter in the front than other helmets. This makes it safer, more aerodynamic, and more attractive.
- CERTIFIED SAFE - International Downhill Federation Certified and lined with EPS Impact foam. EPS offers good penetration resistance and energy distribution. EPS foam liners are the industry standard for action sports.
- BONUS VISOR - Includes 2 spherically rounded visors, one Electric Silver and one clear, both of which offer 100% UVA and UVB protection.
– Designed by Skaters in the U.S.A
– Top quality product
– All TSG products come with a warranty
Triple Eight Downhill Racer Full Face Helmet, Black Glossy, Large/X-Large
- Dual Certified: Complies with U.S. CPSC bike and ASTM Downhill mountain biking safety standards
- Hand-laid fiberglass shell
- Shatter-resistant flip-up visor w/adjustable open positions
- EPS foam liner with velvet lining & improved venting
- Includes 2 sets of fit pads to customize fit
– Meets CPSC 1203 bike and ASTM F1952 downhill mountain bike racing standards
– Hand-laid fiberglass shell & Shatter-resistant flip-up visor
– Aerodynamic styling to limit wind resistance
– EPS foam liner with velvet lining
Bell Sanction Full Face Helmet (Matte Black, Large)
- ABS SHELL CONSTRUCTION with Adjustable Visor
- LIGHTWEIGHT FULL-FACE - offers comfort and protection for dirt jump or BMX riders who want a smaller size and profile
- SPECIFICATIONS - X-Small (48-51 cm), Small (52-54 cm), Medium (55-57 cm), and Large (58-60 cm) Sizes; 15 Helmet vents; CPSC Bicycle, CE EN1078 Certifications
If you’re only beginning and safety is a big issue for you, no worries – there’s a more affordable option. Bell helmets make dirt bike helmets that have been used for downhill since 2010. The Bell Drop was big in the scene since Roger Bros made an aftermarket visor for it. The Bell Drop is now a bit outdated and hard to find, but that’s not a problem since a Medium size Roger Bros visor fits a Large size Bell Sanction. The fit is not airtight, but for a full face under $100 it’s really good.
– Lightweight and sturdy full-face BMX/Downhill racing helmet offered at recession-busting value
– Hand laminated fiberglass shell; adjustable visor
– Fully vented, low profile design weighs just 950 grams
– Moto inspired design lines; ideal for BMX, Super-D, and all-mountain riding
– Sized for smaller and junior riders; CE EN1078, CPSC Bicycle certified
Another point of safety other than a good longboarding helmet is a good pair of well made slide gloves. Grab a pair in that linked article for more information.
*UPDATE*: We stopped recommending Predator helmets due to concerns in their build. Evidence has been found that their recent batches are not up to the quality we expect from them and their outer shells appear to have defects. Please, don’t buy new Predator helmets. Predator helmets from a few years ago are fine. The community is still waiting for a response from Predator.
Don’t be a dummy – buy a helmet. Spending a little extra money on one of the best longboarding helmets can certainly be well worth the money, especially for beginners. If you own any of these, or another helmet that you fully endorse, let us know below.